Sunday, December 2, 2012

Annual Hockey Card Post.

I have no idea if I've actually made an 'annual' hockey card post over the years...but it feels like something I do once a year.  I grew up watching hockey with my dad & played the game for many years.  To this day, hockey cards inhabit a healthy space in my parents house.  So yes.  Hockey is a great game...even though the largest professional league in the world is run by morons. I mean,  here we are...December 2nd & there's no NHL.  For shame.

While at the LCS last week I  picked up a handful of singles from my favourite team - the New York Rangers.  It sucks not being able to watch these guys.

Ryan McDonagh.  Perhaps my favourite NY Rangers player.  The guy is a beast of a defenseman & was stolen in a trade from the Montreal Canadiens. 

Derek Stepan is another core member of the team & is a gifted young centerman in the mold of former Rangers captain Chris Drury.  A product of the U.S. developmental program, Stepan went to school in Wisconsin & was teammates with McDonagh on a powerful Wisconsin Badgers squad.

Michael Del Zotto was a 1st round draft pick (20th overall) of the Rangers in 2008.  After a solid rookie campaign in 2009, Del Zotto suffered a sophmore slump in his 2nd season & found himself relegated to the minors.  He found his confidence & game last year & was a huge contributor all season & deep into the playoffs.

Veteran Brad Richards came to the Rangers last season as a high priced free agent.  Richards had a down year offensively but is certainly a very important member of the team.  Richards might be one of the smarter players in the League & was credited for helping young players like Del Zotto regain their form.

As an aside...I quite like these O-Pee-Chee cards.  I can't say I've been a fan of what I've seen from OPC the past couple of years but they seemed to get it right this year.

I grabbed a couple Rangers from this years Upper Deck too:

Really nice horizontal photo of Derek Stepan - obviously taken from last year's 'Winter Classic' vs the Flyers. 

Another good shot.  Captain Ryan Callahan congratulating goalie Henrik Lundqvist.

Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on a Chris Kreider rookie card or two...but beyond that I probably won't be buying anymore hockey cards anytime soon...well, until next year.





No comments: